Friday, May 27, 2011

Demo finished from Spring Scape class: 5-26-11


"First Thaw"
 Just a tad bit whimsical, this mixed media and collage depicts the joy I feel whenever I think about Santa Fe in the spring. Actually the inspiration for this work is steeped in the art of Phyllis Kapp, an
internationally collected water color artist who resides in Santa Fe.  She turns 80 this year and I wanted to create a piece in her style.  While she of course is a painter, I altered these papers in southwest themed colors for use in my work.  The piece is entitled: "First Thaw."  In addition to the papers, some of which are from the Paper Packet project, I used acrylics, water soluble oil pastels, artist crayons and gel pen.  The work is  8 by 8 inches and is on canvas board.  

I did manage to work a little further on the piece below.  I have not titled it yet but I have a few ideas that I am ruminating on.  I hope to take a quick picture later today.  I probably won't get back to work on it till Monday as our weekend is shaping up to be really busy..that is nothing new :)

K

3 comments:

PaintingsbyLinda said...

This is beautiful. It is soft in color and very exciting. Very spring like feeling!

Art From The heart said...

What a lovely work of art. Nicely done and the colors are so delicate

Undaunted said...

Ooh I love this!