Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Studio Time: Paper Packets project 2-22-11

My packet right before I
brought it in.
Papers after removed from packet
More time in the studio today.  I have all this energy right now and I really am not sure why.  My poor house is a mess (which is pretty usual) and I am not any less busy but my priorities have shifted again.  I really want to complete my first piece from my personal papers that were in my packet at home by this Thursday. That is when our group meets at Lucy's Studio to unwrap their own packets. I further altered some of the papers, coated them with polymer medium, and have begun to rip and tear away.  My first pieces will have to do with preserving landscapes for future generations.  While the images will be abstract in nature, I think the title of each piece will help the viewer feel my story.  I have nothing in mind yet except for a sedge meadow that keeps coming to me, as a place of beauty, right before I fall asleep at night.  I simply can't imagine what would happen if these meadows disappeared.   How would that effect the environment? How many species would become extinct or at the very least, endangered?  What about the the water cycle and oxygen cycle? Would that tip the scales?

copied from:http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-for-kids/0160-the-oxygen-cycle.php
                                                                                                        
papers after further altering

Ecological Ethics is the theme for our gallery show (in celebration of Earth Day).  I hope our work will convey some sense of urgency to the viewers.  If not through the actual works, then through our voices as we greet people and tell them our story.  The work will be unique in as much as the papers and other items that were used to create them, were altered by Mother Nature herself.  Once they are gone, there will be no others like them.  They are unique, just as each work is unique. I feel very strongly about this topic and I am so proud to have been able to get this project off the ground for our artists and our community.  I do plan on writing up a little summary of the work (and why each piece is so unique) to hang with the show.  Lots to do before Earth Day !!!! 

No comments: