Saturday, February 12, 2011

The AfterGlo: Taking the 5 week course with Misty Mawn

Gosh it is so hard to believe the course/class is over.  Misty Mawn's Stretching Within course did just that.  It had something for everyone.  Once I figured out that there was no way I could "keep up" with all the assignments.  I just picked what I would enjoy the most.  I did "stretch" myself with drawing assignments and the painting exercises.  There was so much more though and some I really had no interest in, at least for right now.  I did take notes for future reference and I did copy all the useful links with her favorite tools of the trade.  For example, I can't wait to try the white gel pen she has recommended.  I have yet to find a brand that will handle mixed media works.  I promise to review it once I order and receive it :) 


"Industrial Evilution."
 So how much art did I get done.  Well, not too much.  I sketched more that I have in decades.  I did a couple of paintings and one collage that you see here.  This work will be mailed to Misty for a future article in Somerset Studio (about her course).  I plan on getting it out early next week.  Bottom line, would I take a class with her again?  Oh yea.  Having wanted to study with her for years...this on-line class was the next best thing for me because travel is out of the question at this time. 

A little bit about this work.  Often times I try to make some kind of commentary with my mixed media/collage works.  This one definitely is full of my ire with how things are going in the world.Lets just leave the rest to your interpretation.  I used images that Misty gave us (the bust of the woman, her head piece and her hand).  In this work I did a total of 10 transfers, all of which turned out pretty good.  My collage glue for this work was soft gel matte medium (Golden). Some of the media I used included: acrylics, water soluble oil pastels, graphite, washers, and a variety of papers.   I composed the piece, if you will, lying in bed before I fell asleep (over about a week).  And I will say that I am pleased with it because it actually does convey some deep emotion.  So now it is time to move on.  I am grateful for this experience and will use it to build some new work that will emerge out of my paper packets.

5 comments:

Rosa Murillo said...

Good to know you liked the online course, sounds interesting.
I have tried tons, and I mean TONS of gel pens and they have never worked for me. The best thing I've found so far is the Sharpie poster paint marker, the water based, not oil based. It never clogs when used on mixed media. The other thing I like is white india ink applied with a quill. very harry potter :)
by the way, who's getting ready for some birthday cake soon??? :)

PaintingsbyLinda said...

This is very interesting work. I love the subject matter- I looked at it a long time to see the details. I like compositions that require thought.

Kathy L said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Rosa and Linda. I have to try that sharpie and when I order the one that Misty recommends will let you know. I need to place an order over 25 to get free shipping :)

E Makes Art said...

I love this collage!! Such wonderful subdued colors, and a great composition.

xoEsther

Anonymous said...

Found your blog in the flickr group for Misty's class which I am taking also. I live in IL also-I'm going to leave my email-maybe we could get together for coffee and chat about art. Sounds like you are a very busy mom. I've been there-now I'm a Grandma! So glad you are making art a part of your busy life. carolweiler@comcast.net