Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sea Horse Complete : 5-19-09

I finally finished my stick horse for the Main Stay Therapeutic Riding fund raiser. After a whirlwind 7 days of nothing but Coppelia, I was able to sit down, concentrate (an operative word here), and finish. Now I will let the horse sit for a day or two to set. May be I will make some minor adjustments and tack down a few more areas. As a side note, I used hot glue to adhere the seashells and fisherman's net. I know a lot of folks swear by their glue gun but I personally hate the thing. I burned myself about a dozen times and I don't like the look of it. I am not sure how "permanent" it is either. But it is a glue that will quickly adhere something, nice and thick, so I hope it will hold everything together. I just didn't know how to glue all the shells on without it taking a half of century!
What is next on the horizon...I am itching to start another piece. I want to do a series on the inexpensive Ampersand line of cradled boards. Maybe some Coppelia characters:))))

And I want to blog my comments on my children's performance in a local production of Coppelia as well.



Lorrie Grainger Abdo said...

Hi Kathy, The horse turned out really nice. I hope it raises bunches of money for a great cause! I'm wondering what others might say about the permanancy of the hot glue. Personally, I'd be a bit nervous. Can you put a varnish over the top of the whole thing to help ensure that the shells will stay in place? Now on to the next thing...

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

Happy memorial deary
and have a lovely week


Undaunted said...

Oh Kathy it's beautiful! I love how you used shells for the reigns. When you zoom in there is so much more to see! I bet this piece is amazing in the flesh.
(From my mobile phone)

julie mitchell said...

Your horse is fabulous...wonderful..and makes me smile. You have a wonderful ability to bring on a gentle whimsy.
As for the hot glue...I had a little shop where I sold art....An artist brought in the most wonderful lamps with intricate lamp shades made from gourds. ...one evening as I was readying to close, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye...realized it was coming from the lamp...the lamp shade was coming apart...the artist had used hot glue to hold some parts in place and it all started to melt...The lamps were close to $300 each and beautiful...I don't trust hot glue at all...I think there is some glue called EC6000 or something like that that might work for your shells...I think even Elmer's would be a better choice...hug, hug

Kathy L said...


I so agree with you on this hot glue stuff. I am really regretting that I used it. The only thing that I can say in my defense is that I was in a rush...I procrastinated way to long and the deadline was upon me. If it starts to fall apart, I can get it back and definately tack down the shells with e6000 or something similar. What a bone head I am! So far so good.