Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Found Art Tuesday: 2-19-08 "History Repeats"


NIU- History has repeated itself once again in a terrible, terrible tragedy. My inner self was screaming as I watched the video clips of the shootings unfold. How could this happen yet again? Why don't we learn from the past? And then I thought, well why should we? Attrocities such as NIU have been happeneing since the Old Stone Age. Are we just naturally programmed to hate one another...to kill and maim in the name of God or in the name of $$$$. Just take a brief walk through time...What are the History books filled with? The Reconquista, King Philips War, The Holocost, Croatia, suicide bombers, more ethnic killings, Slave trade you name it... I am so sad and depressed. What are we? What drives the human race? I am overwhelmed and feel so helpless.


My piece is called: "History repeats." I did this out of anger and great sadness. MIxed media and Collage is the category of this work and I used a rather light weight piece of water color paper as the substrate. I am almost afraid to leave it because I would not get the chance to explain it. But I will never-the-less. Maybe it is better for the finder to feel my raw emotion. These killings are insurmountable...Even Freud can't explain them. Are we doomed to repeat the acts again? Our children are acting out these violent crimes...What are we teaching them?
k

PS. This took some time to post because we have all had turns with cold/flu like things. I just finished the piece today (3/1).









1 comment:

Rosa Murillo said...

wow Kathy, it has so much emotion! it's almost as you can see what you were feeling while making the card.
and, is that Freud?